Thursday, July 5, 2012

It's Noon Somewhere...Vanilla Apple Cosmopolitan



This cocktail is based on one I had a few years ago at Palomino and really is a tribute to my husband K's mixology skills.  I wasn't always a cocktail fan and had to learn to like them.  I started out with sweet ones like this one, the Vanilla Apple Cosmopolitan.  Since it was one of the few drinks I liked at that point, I wanted to recreate it at home.  Of course, I couldn't find it on any websites or in any cocktail book so I put it to my resident mixologist to figure something out.  After some trial and error, we came upon this recipe and I think it is better than the original.

This is a cocktail that is served up (that is the fancy drinker's term meaning it is in a martini glass, therefore it has no ice).  Cocktails served up should start out being brain numbingly cold, so that the first sip is as good as the last.  There is nothing worse than a lukewarm cocktail.  As a matter of course I always keep my vodka in the freezer and if we are planning on making a martini like cocktail, I also freeze the glasses.

The Vanilla Apple Cosmopolitan is also a great year round cocktail.  In the summer it is light and refreshing and in the winter it is Christmas colored!

Vanilla Apple Cosmopolitan

1.5 shots Vanilla Vodka
1.5 shots Sour Apple Pucker
1 shot Cranberry Juice
Juice of 1/2 Lime

Mix all ingredients together with lots of ice in a martini shaker and serve in a chilled glass.  For garnish, I usually use a lime but you could use an apple slice, a cherry or even a colored sugared rim.

Enjoy this hopefully sunny weekend with a drink!

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment