Friday, August 24, 2012

La Femme Recommends...Kill List



I don't care about spoilers.  At all.  Often times, I have read the Wikipedia page before I even see the movie.  I just believe that knowing how the plot of the movie unfolds, doesn't affect the quality of the viewing experience and that people shouldn't be so uptight about spoilers.  There is something to be said about going into a movie cold and being blown away.  That is exactly what happened to me with Bean Wheatley's Kill List.   

 Kill List is not the best movie I've ever seen, it doesn't have the best performances or best script, but it may be one of the ballsiest.  The less you know about Kill List, the better.  If you are interested in watching it, don't look at the trailer, don't look at the poster, just watch it.  Kill List is the story of Jay (Neil Maskell), an everyday seeming guy who clearly loves his wife and child but can't really find a good way to provide for them.  And so, after he returns from serving in the army, he and his mate Gal (Michael Smiley) go back into their former profession, contract killers.  All I will say as with most "final job" movies, is it doesn't go as planned.  But where Wheatley takes it, is not where you imagine.

The real reason to watch this movie is to see just how ballsy and f&$#d up it gets (I should say that I am not one for shock cinema, but I think Wheatley plays it so well that the movie is worth seeing).  Wheatley builds suspense perfectly in the film, and also does a great job of disorienting the viewer.  The final 20 minutes of the film are shocking, exciting, and terrifying.  I won't say much more but I will tell you that the imagery at the end is so striking and so haunting that sometimes at night, when I have to use the bathroom, Kill List is the scary image I can't stop thinking about.  

Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment